Make D language as Apache foundation project

Charles Hixson via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Aug 1 10:57:53 PDT 2016

On 08/01/2016 08:56 AM, Emre Temelkuran via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Wednesday, 27 July 2016 at 13:28:04 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 27 July 2016 at 13:08:17 UTC, eugene wrote:
>>> Hello everyone,
>>> why not to make a D language as a project of Apache foundation as it
>>> happened to groovy?
>>
>> My impression of Apache foundation stuff is it is a graveyard of
>> other people's abandoned stuff.... not the message I'd want to send.
>
> I know what you tried to say. You're right and wrong. :D. Yes, ASF got
> lots of trash but 1/2 of that list is alive and useful.
>
> http://www.apache.org/index.html#projects-list  - Some projects are
> definitely killer.
>
> Linux Foundation is another option.

The Linux Foundation is less appropriate for what it intended to be a
cross-platform application.  And the FSF wants it's projects to be GPL.
Of the major ... repositories isn't the right word, but what is? ...
Apache seems the most appropriate choice.  GitHub, e.g., doesn't seem to
be quite the same category of thing.