Why D is not popular enough?

Guillaume Piolat via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Aug 2 02:48:06 PDT 2016

On Monday, 1 August 2016 at 18:54:08 UTC, Emre Temelkuran wrote:

> I just saw that on stats, Apple Swift 3 is fastest growing
> language ever and if you check what's behind, it's D.

Swift is the outlier here in the language landscape.

- pushed and marketed by Apple as an important lockin into their
ecosystem  (why invest so much effort else?)
- replaces Objective-C which is not the most pleasant or sensical
language
- explicitely targets newcomers to programming, in XCode a new
Swift program is a "Playground"
- consultants don't want to be left behind and now sell Swift to
clients

Swift could succeed whatever it does.