Self Optimizing Code

Mark J Twain via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Aug 3 14:22:58 PDT 2016

On Wednesday, 3 August 2016 at 21:09:46 UTC, ikod wrote:
> On Wednesday, 3 August 2016 at 19:25:08 UTC, Mark "J" Twain
> wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 3 August 2016 at 18:18:51 UTC, ikod wrote:

>>> Looks like this:
>>>
>>> https://wiki.dlang.org/LDC_LLVM_profiling_instrumentation
>>
>> No, I don't think so. The best I can tell is this is just
>> profiling. This would be having the program itself profile
>
> This is not just profiling, but "Profile-Guided Optimization
> (PGO)"

Yes, but that is still profiling. It is static profiling while I
am talking about dynamic profiling. It is similar, but it doesn't
happen while the program is in use by the user.

That is, simply, the programmer runs the profiler and it
optimizes the code then ships it as final to the user. I am
talking about the user running the program and the program
optimizes itself. Big difference!