Recommended procedure to upgrade DMD installation

Seb via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Aug 4 15:20:12 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 4 August 2016 at 18:47:36 UTC, A D dev wrote:
> Hi group,
>
> Somewhat new to D.
>
> What is the recommended procedure, if any, to upgrade my DMD
> installation (on Windows, if that makes a difference)?
>
> I.e. If I have 2.70.0 and I saw that 2.17.1 is out now, I can
> look at the list of bug fixes and any new features in the new
> version and decide whether I want to upgrade, or wait for
> another version with more changes that matter to me. That is
> not what my question is about.

OT: 2.071.0 has been released in April - you may check more often
;-)

> My question is about:
>
> - should I just install the new version in the same directory,
> over the old version, or do I need to uninstall the old version
> first.

I never use(d) Windows, but I can help you in the way that there
are no persistent settings. A DMD installation is completely
independent in it's folder. Hence you can safely install the new
version in the same directory, but I would make at least a copy
of the old version first - just in case any regression popped in.

> - if I have to first uninstall the old version, are there any
> persistent setting for the compiler that I need to save before
> the uninstall and then restore after the new install?

The only configuration file is `dmd.conf` (for common flags), a
user usually doesn't need to modify it, so I would be surprised
if you did.

> - any other things I need to take care of?

Not that I would know of, but maybe people using Windows can give
more advice.