For the Love of God, Please Write Better Docs!

H.Loom via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Aug 5 14:01:28 PDT 2016

On Friday, 5 August 2016 at 19:52:19 UTC, poliklosio wrote:
> On Tuesday, 2 August 2016 at 20:26:06 UTC, Jack Stouffer wrote:
>> (...)
>
> I cannot agree more with that.
>
> In my opinion open source community massively underestimates
> the importance of high-level examples, articles and tutorials.
> To most library authors (judging from projects I've seen)
> source code and reference docs is 90% of usability and
> everything else is 10%. This is completely wrong and
> upside-down!

This is not true for widely used libraries. I can find everywhere
examples of how to use FreeType even if the bindings I use have 0
docs and 0 examples. Idem for libX11...Also i have to say that
with a well crafted library you understand what a function does
when it's well named, when the parameters are well named.

This is another story for marginal libraries, e.g when you're
part of the early adopters.

> If you are a library author and you are reading this, let me
> quantify this for you.

Thanks you ! you're so generous.

> Influence of parts of documentation on usability:
> - Good tutorials and high-level examples for typical actual
> use-cases: 60%
> - Good README file with very clear instructions for
> installation and any other setup, e.g. interoperation with
> typical set of other libs: 25%
> - An article in prose explaining motivation for the library: 10%
> - Examples in online reference documentation: 3%
> - All the other elements reference documentation, source code
> readability: 2%

congratz, you've taken care to reach exactly 100...

> This has no scientific basis, but I felt compelled to use
> numbers because words cannot illustrate the massive extent of
> the problem.
>
> Again, if you are a library author and you think this rant is
> silly then yes, your documentation is that bad.
>
> This also explains part of complaints on Phobos documentation -
> people don't get the general idea of how to make things work
> together.

For phobos i agree. D examples shipped with DMD are ridiculous. I
was thinking to propose an initiative which would be to renew
completly them with small usable and idiomatic programs.

> Those who do get the general idea don't care much about the
> exact width of whitespace and other similar concerns.

I don't understand your private thing here. Are you talking about
text justification in ddoc ? If it's a mono font no problem
here...