Recommended procedure to upgrade DMD installation

A D dev via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Aug 5 14:36:07 PDT 2016

On Friday, 5 August 2016 at 00:07:36 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> If you're running the installer, it will uninstall the previous
> version for you. If you are doing it manually, I recommend you
> delete the existing folder rather than overwriting it.

Thanks for the info.

> If you are compiling 64-bit programs, the installer will find
> the Microsoft tools for you. If you are installing manually,
> you need to edit sc.ini manually with the correct paths, so
> you'll want to back up the existing sc.ini first in that case
> (or if you've made any other edits to it).

What Microsoft tools are you referring to? Do you mean C
toolchain build tools, like the linker, librarian, (N)MAKE, etc.?
Does D depend on those on Windows? (I do remember reading a D
doc, maybe the overview, that said something like that, or at
least that it plays well with existing common toolchains.)

I don't remember all of the names of the Windows C build tools
now (plus, they could have changed over time), have to do a bit
of reading to brush up / update myself on that. I've done C dev
on Windows (and DOS before it), including command line use of the
MS compiler and linker (CL.exe, LINK.exe, IIRC), but all that was
some years ago.

Thanks.