Why don't we switch to C like floating pointed arithmetic instead of automatic expansion to reals?

Ilya Yaroshenko via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Aug 6 01:21:16 PDT 2016

On Friday, 5 August 2016 at 20:53:42 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:

> I agree that the typical summation algorithm suffers from
> double rounding. But that's one algorithm. I would appreciate
> if you would review
> http://dlang.org/phobos/std_algorithm_iteration.html#sum to
> ensure it doesn't have this problem, and if it does, how we can
> fix it.

Phobos's sum is two different algorithms. Pairwise summation for
Random Access Ranges and Kahan summation for Input Ranges.
Pairwise summation does not require IEEE rounding, but Kahan
summation requires it.

The problem with real world example is that it depends on
optimisation. For example, if all temporary values are rounded,
this is not a problem, and if all temporary values are not
rounded this is not a problem too. However if some of them
rounded and others are not, than this will break Kahan algorithm.

Kahan is the shortest and one of the slowest (comparing with KBN
for example) summation algorithms. The true story about Kahan,
that we may have it in Phobos, but we can use pairwise summation
for Input Ranges without random access, and it will be faster
then Kahan. So we don't need Kahan for current API at all.

Mir has both Kahan, which works with 32-bit DMD, and pairwise,
witch works with input ranges.

Kahan, KBN, KB2, and Precise summations is always use `real` or
`Complex!real` internal values for 32 bit X86 target. The only
problem with Precise summation, if we need precise result in
double and use real for internal summation, then the last bit
will be wrong in the 50% of cases.

Another good point about Mir's summation algorithms, that they
are Output Ranges. This means they can be used effectively to sum
multidimensional arrays for example. Also, Precise summator may
be used to compute exact sum of distributed data.

When we get a decision and solution for rounding problem, I will
make PR for std.experimental.numeric.sum.

> I hear you. I'd like to explore ways of solving it. Got any
> ideas?

We need to take the overall picture.

It is very important to recognise that D core team is small and D
community is not large enough now to involve a lot of new
professionals. This means that time of existing one engineers is
very important for D and the most important engineer for D is
you, Walter.

In the same time we need to move forward fast with language
changes and druntime changes (GC-less Fibers for example).

So, we need to choose tricky options for development. The most
important option for D in the science context is to split D
Programming Language from DMD in our minds. I am not asking to
remove DMD as reference compiler. Instead of that, we can
introduce changes in D that can not be optimally implemented in
DMD (because you have a lot of more important things to do for D
instead of optimisation) but will be awesome for our LLVM-based
or GCC-based backends.

We need 2 new pragmas with the same syntax as `pragma(inline,
xxx)`:

1. `pragma(fusedMath)` allows fused mul-add, mul-sub, div-add,
div-sub operations.
2. `pragma(fastMath)` equivalents to [1]. This pragma can be used
to allow extended precision.

This should be 2 separate pragmas. The second one may assume the
first one.

Recent LDC beta has @fastmath attribute for functions, and it is
already used in Phobos ndslice.algorithm PR and its Mir's mirror.
Attributes are alternative for pragmas, but their syntax should
be extended, see [2]

The old approach is separate compilation, but it is weird, low
level for users, and requires significant efforts for both small
and large projects.

[1] http://llvm.org/docs/LangRef.html#fast-math-flags
[2] https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/issues/1669

Best regards,