Why don't we switch to C like floating pointed arithmetic instead of automatic expansion to reals?

Iain Buclaw via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Aug 6 07:27:01 PDT 2016

On 6 August 2016 at 16:11, Patrick Schluter via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> On Saturday, 6 August 2016 at 10:02:25 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
>>
>> On 6 August 2016 at 11:48, Ilya Yaroshenko via Digitalmars-d
>> <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> On Saturday, 6 August 2016 at 09:35:32 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>>>>

>> No pragmas tied to a specific architecture should be allowed in the
>> language spec, please.
>

> Hmmm, that's the whole point of pragmas (at least in C) to specify
> implementation specific stuff outside of the language specs. If it's in the
> language specs it should be done with language specific mechanisms.

https://dlang.org/spec/pragma.html#predefined-pragmas

"""
All implementations must support these, even if by just ignoring them.
Vendor specific pragma Identifiers can be defined if they are prefixed
by the vendor's trademarked name, in a similar manner to version
identifiers.
"""

So all added pragmas that have no vendor prefix must be treated as
part of the language in order to conform with the specs.