The Computer Language Benchmarks Game

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Aug 7 06:30:27 PDT 2016

On Sat, 2016-08-06 at 22:04 -0700, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
> On 8/5/2016 7:02 AM, qznc wrote:
> >
> > Ultimately, my opinion is that the benchmark is outdated and not
> > useful today. I
> > ignore it, if anybody cites the benchmark game for performance
> > measurements.
>
> Yeah, I wouldn't bother with it, either.

Since so much effort has gone into constructing wierd and wonderful
implementations just to gain speed on the one platform, yes the game
itself is long past it real usefulness. If it reverted to programmer
friendly algorithmic expression with a view to performance, then the
problems and the game would become relevant again. I cannot see this
happening, sadly.

In the end a bit of X10 or Chapel code running on a Blue Gene ro Cray
is going to annihilate any code written in Fortran, FORTRAN, C++, C, or
any other language for performance.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk