[OT] The forum website should have more meta tags to allow other sites to embed it

Seb via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Aug 10 09:44:18 PDT 2016

On Wednesday, 10 August 2016 at 16:09:16 UTC, WebFreak001 wrote:
> For example right now if you post a forum link on some social
> media network or in some chat like skype or discord it will
> most of the time don't show any additional info to the link or
> just the meta description tag.
>
> (For example on discord it looks like this right now:
> https://i.webfreak.org/ftDPWs)
>
> It would be much cooler if it would show the post that the URL
> is pointing to with the title, content and author + profile
> picture. Google would probably also rank the forum pages higher
> then and they might even stop with suggesting golang over dlang
> (ok maybe that's a bit too unrealistic)
>
> I don't know which specification discord is following but to
> support multiple providers the forum website should probably
> add a few head¹ tags for SEO and implement a few more formats
> for social networks/modern chat clients².
>
> This would make it much easier to share forum urls without
> getting confused which url was what and it would improve the
> ranking on search engines.
>
> ¹: https://github.com/joshbuchea/HEAD lots of head tags,
> especially for SEO
> ²: https://github.com/joshbuchea/HEAD#social some formats to
> allow getting some information about the url

Very valid point ;-)
Issues/enhancement request for the forum should go to DFeed.
(if you send CyberShadow directly a PR, it should land live a lot
faster).

https://github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed

BTW I made a similar enhancement request for the D Blog quite
recently:

https://github.com/dlang/D-Blog-Theme/issues/19