D Github contributors - enable 2 factor authentification

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Aug 11 00:59:11 PDT 2016

On 8/11/2016 12:33 AM, qznc wrote:
> On Thursday, 11 August 2016 at 06:21:35 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
>> I just enabled it because of this thread, but in general, I'm paranoid about
>> two-factor auth and don't use it for much. My domain registrar (and thus DNS)
>> is one of the few places that I have it enabled. I'm just too worried about
>> getting locked out. The very thing that makes it more secure significantly
>> increases the risk of you having a problem that locks you out.
>
> This thread pushed me to enable it for Google and Github. The fear of lock out
> plagues me as well.
>
> However, I asked a few friends and so far I have found nobody who was actually
> locked out. The fact that they all give you a few backup codes for login helps.

Yeah, I worry about being locked out as well. There's also nothing private in
the dlang repository, but a malicious person could just delete everything and it
would be a major problem for us to recover from that.

They do provide an option for a second phone (which I enabled) and sent a set of
recovery codes. This you can put into your safety deposit box as a last resort.

I keep a rolling set of backups, with one set in the safety deposit box.

2FA is going to become increasingly common, and I expect we'll all have to get
used to it.