Reddit: bot disabled - please post manually

Seb via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Aug 12 12:52:47 PDT 2016

Just a short annoucement for the people who lost track
r/d_language due to the bot:

> As an attempt to increase activity in this subreddit we want to
> try it without the bot for a while. Please announce relevant
> stuff from the forum (or blog or elsewhere) here manually from
> now on!

In short idea is that bot kills active discussions as it creates
ghost threads that are seldom commented on or watched.
For a longer explanation see either [2, 3] or below:

> In fact it would be great to see the forum use reddit more
> actively for heated discussions as everyone can judge the value
> of a comment/thread and off-topic threads (or threads with
> low-values) get down-voted very quickly. It might also help to
> avoid such 50 pages threads (like auto-decoding) as the
> most-important thread stays on top and newcomers to the
> discussion don't have to read everything to get the gist and
> reduce the constant noise of off-topic comments or personal
> attacks on the NG. Another advantage is that discussions are
> sorted after their current important and not after the latest
> post.
> Of course there are some disadvantages too (e.g. 1) not all D
> members might like reddit, 2) it puts reddit "out-of-sync", 3)
> one can't repost outdated topics, and 4) we have to trust
> reddit that they accidentally delete our discussions), but I
> believe 1) isn't a big concern as we usually have active
> discussions on the reddit thread of announcements and this just
> about disabling the bot, 2) (out-of-sync) the NG is an
> essential part of the D language and as thus many people check
> it daily. Yes disabling the bot might put the people on reddit
> "out-of-sync" with the main NG, but I argue that they check the
> NG anyways and don't post here, because they know it's a dead
> copy - not the original thread. 3) (no ghost posts) is a good
> thing as it requires the reposter to think about reviving a
> thread from the dead & summarizing the gist, 4) (data security)
> reddit is a lot more unlikely to crash their servers. After all
> it's a company with full-time developers working on it - no
> offence to all the great people keeping the NG and it's forum
> interface up & running.

[1] https://www.reddit.com/r/d_language/
[2]
https://www.reddit.com/r/d_language/comments/4wr8v2/meta_bot_disabled_please_post_manually/