[OT] The coolest (literally) desktop machine I've ever had

jkjkx via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Aug 13 08:01:21 PDT 2016

On Saturday, 13 August 2016 at 12:37:55 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev
wrote:
> On Friday, 12 August 2016 at 19:13:12 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
>> I've put Linux Mint on it (which is what they recommend)
>
> Friends don't let friends use Linux Mint:
>
> https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/4v116g/can_we_stop_recommending_linux_mint/
>
> https://lwn.net/Articles/676664/
>
> Not mentioned above: Linux Mint's upgrade policy is "format and
> reinstall". Their update policy is also "If it ain't broke,
> don't try to fix it". No wonder they have internal security
> issues.

The comments on the reddit post mitigate the post itself, for
example:

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/4v116g/can_we_stop_recommending_linux_mint/d5vo9l6
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/4v116g/can_we_stop_recommending_linux_mint/d5uk29l

The security issue you talk about is probably the fact that their
forums have been hacked earlier this year. That's a totaly
different problem. You can't charge them for this. Some people
are on a constructive side (they build, they program, they
create...) while others are on a destructive side...Do you think
that's smart to exploit the forum of an open-source OS community
with the aim to sold a stupid list of email 85$ to a bunch of
idiots who spend their life at running spam server ?

If you see someone being pushed in the back on the stairs and who
falls, what do you do ? Do you blame the guy who falls "hey
you're even not able to stay up" or the guy who pushes
"a****hole, that's not fair"...