[OT] The coolest (literally) desktop machine I've ever had

Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Aug 13 13:51:55 PDT 2016

> On 08/13/2016 08:37 AM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
>> On Friday, 12 August 2016 at 19:13:12 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>>> googled for the better part of an afternoon for "fanless desktop" and
>>> it turns out it's much harder to find one than I'd
>>
>> Quiet doesn't necessarily mean fanless. I have a Corsair H100i with
>> Noctua fans, and you can barely tell it's on.
>>
>>> I've put Linux Mint on it (which is what they recommend)
>>
>> Friends don't let friends use Linux Mint:
>>
>> https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/4v116g/can_we_stop_recommending_linux_mint/
>>

>> https://lwn.net/Articles/676664/
>>
>> Not mentioned above: Linux Mint's upgrade policy is "format and
>> reinstall". Their update policy is also "If it ain't broke, don't try to
>> fix it". No wonder they have internal security issues.
>
> Good to know, thanks. So what should I use then? -- Andrei

I use linux mint on my VMWare install on my mac. It's nice, I like the
interface, and it's easy to maintain.

I have also experienced the "reinstall instead of upgrade" issue. It
wasn't too bad, because it's a VM, most of my documents are shared with
my mac.

But I assumed it was because I waited too long to upgrade. If I was
going to use a full-install for my OS, I guess using something different
would be better.

-Steve