DIP1000: Scoped Pointers (Discussion)

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Aug 14 14:12:17 PDT 2016

On 08/14/2016 10:50 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 8/14/2016 7:42 AM, Dicebot wrote:
>> Two another more nitpicky comments:
>>
>> 1) Deprecation process proposal right now says this:
>>
>> - remove -scope, issue warning when errors are detected
>> - replace warnings with deprecation messages
>>
>> PLEASE FOR THE SAKE OF ALL DEAR NEVER EVER DO THIS
>>
>> Deprecations must always come first. Warnings may or may not follow
>> later but any deprecation process must mandatory start with deprecation
>> message, not exceptions and no excuses.
>
> Hmm, but we've always done warning => deprecation => error

Yes, and it was a major disaster because most sensible projects compile
with warnings as errors enabled (it is also the default in dub) and thus
putting a warning breaks a many more times more code than putting a
deprecation. We have already talked that through before with Martin and
it seemed acknowledged that pattern has to be changed to "deprecation ->
(optional warning) -> error".