Why D is not popular enough?

Jack Stouffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Aug 14 22:15:59 PDT 2016

On Friday, 12 August 2016 at 18:04:53 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
>> On 8/12/16 1:04 PM, Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>>
>>> Honestly, I don't think that shared is broken.
>>
>> Yes. It is broken.
>>
>> shared int x;
>> ++x; // error, must use atomicOp.
>> x = x + 1; // OK(!)
>
> How is this broken and how should it behave? -- Andrei

The problem is no one knows if it's broken or not because there
is no official documentation saying what shared is supposed to do.

This is all we get

"The shared attribute modifies the type from T to shared(T), the
same way as const does."

https://dlang.org/spec/attribute.html