[OT] The coolest (literally) desktop machine I've ever had

Dominikus Dittes Scherkl via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Aug 15 09:34:40 PDT 2016

On Sunday, 14 August 2016 at 23:51:44 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On Friday, August 12, 2016 15:13:12 Andrei Alexandrescu via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> Thought this might help others looking for a fanless dekstop.
>
> You don't have to go fanless to have a quiet computer, but
> there are other pros and cons involved. I've had a full tower
> case for my computer for years now, because I was sick of
> trying to mess with what was inside when it barely fit, and I
> wanted room for more hard drives. The result was that I ended
> up with a well-insulated case with very large case fans that
> don't spin quickly.
Big, slow fans and big heat sink etc. may be nice in the winter,
but with 30°C already in the room, I don't need a radiator, no
thanks.
So, a computer should be quiet because it use few watts, not
because it manages to generate the heat silent.

Of course this is somewhat contrary to the goal to have big
power, but to some extent it is possible to have good power
management and less power-consuming components which still have
good efficiency. But for the rest a big slow fan doesn't hurt, I
agree.