dmd download issues

Seb via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Aug 15 11:53:37 PDT 2016

On Monday, 15 August 2016 at 18:41:40 UTC, Basile B. wrote:
> On Monday, 15 August 2016 at 11:24:38 UTC, Seb wrote:
>>>
>>> Wow that's the third thread:
>>>
>>> https://forum.dlang.org/thread/qfmxgcrxvhlqvyragfuo@forum.dlang.org
>>>
>>> http://forum.dlang.org/post/losslyifqvphcnyhkkuh@forum.dlang.org
>>>
>>> Does someone know how we can get windows defender not to
>>> threat dmd as a threat?
>>
>> Fourth thread:
>> http://forum.dlang.org/post/sczyojdplcgxltouixbd@forum.dlang.org
>
> That's nothing...maybe 1% of the daily download. Which means
> that 99% of the people understand that it's not a problem since
> they can in last resort verify the checksum of the DL.
>
> Also when it comes from a peer with a random pseudo, without
> any serious information, etc it does not look serious.

I think it's serious for the people on Windows as most newbies
won't bother posting and we already have four independent reports.
For what it's worth I convinced a friend of mine to play with D a
while ago and I heard back from him last week that he didn't do
anything because "it was a virus", so imho for Windows user this
can be a horrible "first five minutes" experience.

(Side remark: the main problem here is that I don't know a single
Windows user that would run md5)