[OT] The coolest (literally) desktop machine I've ever had

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Aug 15 19:46:28 PDT 2016

On Monday, August 15, 2016 16:34:40 Dominikus Dittes Scherkl via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
> On Sunday, 14 August 2016 at 23:51:44 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> > On Friday, August 12, 2016 15:13:12 Andrei Alexandrescu via
> >
> > Digitalmars-d wrote:
> >> Thought this might help others looking for a fanless dekstop.
> >
> > You don't have to go fanless to have a quiet computer, but
> > there are other pros and cons involved. I've had a full tower
> > case for my computer for years now, because I was sick of
> > trying to mess with what was inside when it barely fit, and I
> > wanted room for more hard drives. The result was that I ended
> > up with a well-insulated case with very large case fans that
> > don't spin quickly.
>
> Big, slow fans and big heat sink etc. may be nice in the winter,
> but with 30°C already in the room, I don't need a radiator, no
> thanks.
> So, a computer should be quiet because it use few watts, not
> because it manages to generate the heat silent.
>
> Of course this is somewhat contrary to the goal to have big
> power, but to some extent it is possible to have good power
> management and less power-consuming components which still have
> good efficiency. But for the rest a big slow fan doesn't hurt, I
> agree.

Well, keeping power consumption down is definitely valuable, but I'm
generally far more worried about how much the CPU can do. It matters for a
lot less than it used to, but it does affect some stuff. In particular, it
matters for compilation time, and it has a huge impact on stuff like
transcoding video, which I do. So, I'm pretty much always going for CPU
performance over low wattage when it comes to a desktop, whereas for a
something like a phone, power consumption is a lot more important.  It is at
the point though that for most folks, getting a high powered computer is
pretty pointless. I doubt that I'll ever be at that point though.

- Jonathan M Davis