Why 16Mib static array size limit?

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Aug 17 05:32:20 PDT 2016

On Wednesday, 17 August 2016 at 12:20:28 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
> On Tuesday, 16 August 2016 at 20:19:32 UTC, ketmar wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 16 August 2016 at 20:11:12 UTC, Yuxuan Shui wrote:
>>> Wait, doesn't D have strict aliasing rules?
>>
>> luckily, no. at least this is not enforced by dmd. and it is
>> great.
>
> Controlling aliasing is really the #1 optimization barrier
> these days, so I don't think it's that good of a thing.
>
> Almost every single one case where Rust end up being faster
> than C++ is because their type system allow for more AA
> information available for the optimizer.
>
> AA is also key to do non GC memory management at language level.

from my PoV, this kind of "optimizing" is overrated. i'm
absolutely unable to understand why should i obey orders from
machine instead of machine obeys my orders. if i want to go wild
with pointers, don't tell me that i can't, just compile my code!
C is literally ridden with this shit, and in the end it is a
freakin' pain to write correct C code (if it is possible at all
for something comlex).