Why 16Mib static array size limit?

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Aug 17 12:36:17 PDT 2016

On 8/17/2016 5:20 AM, deadalnix wrote:
> Controlling aliasing is really the #1 optimization barrier these days, so I
> don't think it's that good of a thing.
>
> Almost every single one case where Rust end up being faster than C++ is because
> their type system allow for more AA information available for the optimizer.
>
> AA is also key to do non GC memory management at language level.

At least for this case, as I mentioned in another post, if the pointer and
length of the global is cached in a local, it can be cached in a register. The
contents of locals don't have aliasing problems because if their addresses are
not taken, nobody can point to them. Optimization relies heavily on that.