[OT] I am a developer and I hate documentation

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Aug 18 07:55:49 PDT 2016

On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 08:40:23AM +0000, Kagamin via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> Article:
> https://dzone.com/articles/why-developers-write-horrible-documentation-and-ho
> Also: https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/4y6pws/why_video_documentation_isnt_the_answer/

The first article claims that video documentation is better. I think
that's BS. Making video docs takes MUCH MORE resources and effort than
written docs, meaning that it's even less likely to get done, and less
likely to be kept up-to-date as the code inevitably changes.

I agree with the second article that video docs aren't the answer. I
much rather have poorly-written docs that are searchable than video docs
that are unsearchable. I mean, come on, do you seriously want to watch a
video repeatedly every time you need to look up one specific detail
buried somewhere therein?  That's ridiculously inefficient. Give me
written docs any day.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.