[OT] of [OT] I am a developer and I hate documentation

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Aug 19 07:34:51 PDT 2016

On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 10:50:20AM +0000, Chris via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Thursday, 18 August 2016 at 17:23:09 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 04:56:32PM +0000, ketmar via Digitalmars-d
> > wrote:
> > > i assure you that programmers will still be too lazy to fill the
> > > docs. but they *will* spend alot of time rebuilding (or
> > > hex-editing if there is no source) their IDE to replace the
> > > message.
> >
> > Haha, too true!

> It is true. After all, it's all about writing code and hacking. "Look
> now it says 'THE PROGRAMMER IS COOL'! It only took me 3 hours to
> figure out how to replace the message. I'll write a blog about it! =>
> reddit => flame war => please mark as OT ..."
[...]

And if the pro-doc-ers are equally "cool", there would be an arms race
where the stub is encrypted with strong encryption to prevent tampering,
and the programmers would figure out ways of bypassing it, and develop
an entire subculture of IDE-cracking and doc avoidance. :-P

Never trust an operating system you don't have source for! -- Martin Schulze