Why D is not popular enough?

Daniel via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Aug 19 17:19:30 PDT 2016

On Monday, 1 August 2016 at 15:31:35 UTC, Emre Temelkuran wrote:
> I always ignored D, i prejudiced that D failed, because nobody
> were talking about it. I decided to check it yesterday, it has
> excellent documentation, i almost covered all aspects. I think
> D is much better than the most of the other popular langs. It's
> clear as JScript, Swift, Julia and PHP, also it's capable
> enough as C,C++. I think D deserves a bigger community.
>
> Why people need NodeJS, Typescript etc, when there is already
> better looking lang?
> Everyone talking about how ugly is Golang. So why people are
> going on it? Performance concerns? Why languages that are not
> backed up by huge companies are looking like they failed?

     I lurk this forum every so often, since the time when there
was this funny guy who ranted like a rude drunkard.
     At work I developed in dBase, Turbo Pascal, Delphi, Visual
Basic, ASP, Java, C# and PHP, roughly in that temporal order, but
most of my few hobby project and freelance work have been in
Delphi, then Lazarus.
     D seems to have enhanced a lot, and I have even downloaded
dlangide source once to try compiling and running it. I ran into
some dub dependency problem and forgot about it.
     I guess, bundling the tools, ide and a couple good demos into
an easily downloadable installation package (or package repo as
in Debian) could be of some help. See for example:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/lazarus/files/

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk-netbeans-jsp-142931.html?ssSourceSiteId=otnes

Hope this helps,

Daniel