Why D is not popular enough?

Shachar Shemesh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Aug 20 08:25:11 PDT 2016

On 20/08/16 00:51, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 8/18/2016 7:59 PM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
>> Alas, C insisted on making everything int all the time and D followed
>> that :(

Actually, Adam's suggestion on how things should work is precisely how C
works (except it trails off at int).

a = b + c;

if b and c are both a byte, and a is a byte, the result is unpromoted.
If a is a short, the result is promoted. I know the mechanism is
completely different than what Adam was suggesting, but the end result
is precisely the same.

 > One would have to be *really* sure of their ground in coming up with
 > allegedly better rules.

Would "no narrowing implicit casts" be considered such a better rule? :-)

Again, I'm not saying it's a bad rule, just that does have consequences.
What I'm saying is that we are, already, changing things.

Shachar