Why D is not popular enough?

Seb via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Aug 21 09:39:08 PDT 2016

On Sunday, 21 August 2016 at 15:05:11 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> On Sunday, 21 August 2016 at 12:51:16 UTC, Lodovico Giaretta
> wrote:
>

>> Your offensive tone, your attitude to pointing at a single
>> person as the source of the problems, your improper use of
>> low-level stereotypes and non-technical pointless
>> argumentation are definitely out of place.
>
> He's a semi-regular troll. Pops out from under the bridge once
> in a while to wave his arms and shout a bit, then goes away if
> no one feeds him. Just pretend he doesn't exist.

Yep basically trolls feed of your negative emotions and enjoy
your anger. There's a nice video that explains this:

The Science of Internet Trolls:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zxy_dScjsM

I think the biggest problem is that this forum is anonymous, so a
troll is sure that there are no risk nor consequences of his
behavior. There's an old NY Times article that digs a bit into
this topic:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/30/opinion/30zhuo.html?_r=0

It goes like this:

> Content providers, social networking platforms and community
> sites must also do their part by rethinking the systems they
> have in place for user commentary so as to discourage — or
> disallow — anonymity.
> Some may argue that denying Internet users the ability to post
> anonymously is a breach of their privacy and freedom of
> expression. But until the age of the Internet, anonymity was a
> rare thing. When someone spoke in public, his audience would
> naturally be able to see who was talking.
> Others point out that there’s no way to truly rid the Internet
> of anonymity. After all, names and e-mail addresses can be
> faked. And in any case many commenters write things that are
> rude or inflammatory under their real names.
> But raising barriers to posting bad comments is still a smart
> first step. Well-designed commenting systems should also aim to
> highlight thoughtful and valuable opinions while letting
> trollish ones sink into oblivion.

If you want to dive further into this topic I recommend the
Wikipedia article about trolls which features a nice "Please do
not feed the trolls" sign:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

Last but not least there's a fun video about them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMEe7JqBgvg

(personal advice: imagine a troll to look like the one starred in
this video)