Compiling DMD on Windows: A journey of mystery and madness

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Aug 21 12:12:27 PDT 2016

On 08/21/2016 03:01 PM, Seb wrote:
> because (1) you need less documentation (just one file to document) and

Wouldn't it be better to optimize documentation for the reader instead
of the writer? After all if reading is impaired, that's bound to make
the maintainer unhappy even if she has fewer documents to maintain.

> (2) the single file will be more tested/bullet-proof.

How does that work? Aren't step-by-step documents "how to do this on
Posix" and "how to do this for Windows" best tested in one environment
at a time?

> Anyways sorry about mentioning it - I know that such (a) a change
> shouldn't be taken lightly and it also may cause additional troubles and

What troubles would there be? How were troubles taken into account when
the document got modified from its initial Posix-only stance to the
current state?

> (b) it isn't that related to the problem of the poster.

NX has noted the information is there, it's just lost exactly because
the document is poorly structured. Is that plausible evidence against
your assertion?

Please just fix it with no debate. It's mostly a matter of moving
Windows-related stuff from this document to another, fresh document. I'm
mulling over a big contract for the Foundation. Let me do what I do
best. It's the third level this has gotten to my level of consciousness,
and that's more than two times too many.

Thanks,

Andrei