Why D is not popular enough?

Engine Machine via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Aug 21 15:23:29 PDT 2016

On Sunday, 21 August 2016 at 21:31:07 UTC, Bill Hicks wrote:
> On Sunday, 21 August 2016 at 12:51:16 UTC, Lodovico Giaretta
> wrote:
>>
>> Your offensive tone, your attitude to pointing at a single
>> person as the source of the problems,
>>

> My friend (or foe), please don't get it twisted.  If D had been
> a huge success, it's Andrei and Walter who were going to take
> and receive all the credit.  As it is, they are known as the
> creators of the D programming language, and they practically
> have the final say in its design and implementation.  So, I
> say, if a single person is going to be pointed at as the source
> of success, then, on the flip side, when a project fails, that
> person deserves to be pointed at as the source of the problems.
>  That's how it works in the real world.
>
> Today those who have spent time and energy learning D and using
> it in their projects are the real losers in this.  They can't
> get a job as D programmers, because nobody is hiring D
> programmers, and there are far better languages out there that
> they could've spent their time learning.  And as far as their
> projects, if it's anything serious, they'll probably have to
> rewrite it in another programing language.  At least Andrei got
> a book deal out of it, and improved his resume.  Isn't Walter
> touring the world as D consultant?  Imagine that, the D's
> documentation is so good that the few companies using it need
> the creator himself to consult them out of the mess they're in.
>  And IIRC, a few people here sucked up to Andrei and managed to
> get a job at Facebook, and they then disappeared.  What are you
> getting out of D?
>
> Moral of the story, never trust a capitalist to do good for
> humanity, regardless of their cuteness.  They either f*ck it
> up, or line their pockets.
>
>> your improper use of low-level stereotypes and non-technical
>> pointless argumentation are definitely out of place.
>>

> Based on what OP was asking, I don't think this thread was
> meant to be very technical.
>

>> I think some kind of moderation should be applied to this
>> forum, so that people like you either shut up or start
>> exposing their ideas in a civilized way.
>>

> Baby, trust me, text is very civilized, and every flavor of it.
>  If you can't handle a block of text from the comfort of your
> computer screen, then you're not going to make it in life.  I'm
> an Amerikan, and I have fully absorbed the culture and its
> collective philosophy.  Text is as civilized as it gets.  A
> line above it is going to involve illegal wars based on lies on
> a defenseless nation with the objective of raping and killing
> millions of innocent civilians while stealing their land and
> precious resources.  We've been doing it for centuries, and we
> are pretty good at it.  Now you wouldn't want that, would you?
>
>> By the way, you are not answering what I asked you in my
>> don't bother doing it, please.
>
> I don't feel the need to promote my ideal language, and I
> rarely do.  At this point I'm not quiet sure what the ideal
> [...]

You should realize the flaws are not so much in the people, at
least they cannot help it.

Take the English language. It is full of ambiguities and
difficult to describe things precisely. Billions of people speak
it though and almost all are not aware of how flawed it is. But
it is what it is.

There are far better constructed languages out there that are
designed to avoid many of the problems with natural languages,
yet they are not really taught or used.

It is the state of humanity. Most humans are morons, even though
they may specialize in something and be quite good at it, they
fail to realize the big picture and the meaning in it all.  Their
whole goal in life is to get a piece of ass, a piece of food, and
do it with the least amount of work.

So, The best thing you can do is try to be a leader by
demonstrating better ways and just hope for the best.  Yes, D
sucks in many ways. It is far from perfect as most of the
lemmings believe. But every language sucks, nothing is perfect.
Use it or don't, or come up with a better tool and try to make
the world a better place.

I feel your pain seeing so much wasted in humanity over the might
ego... but unfortunately that is the state of affairs right now
in humanity. Arguing with people that don't get it only makes you
more insane, and eventually you'll be like them if you are not
careful.

While you seem to have something against Andrei and Walter, Just
keep in mind that there are many worse people in the world than
them.  So getting crazy over a compiler when people are killing
each other over shoes, or hamburgers, or green paper is much more
insane.

Keep fighting but don't let the insanity get to you! ;)