Compiling DMD on Windows: A journey of mystery and madness

Seb via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Aug 21 21:56:03 PDT 2016

On Sunday, 21 August 2016 at 19:12:27 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 08/21/2016 03:01 PM, Seb wrote:
>> because (1) you need less documentation (just one file to
>> document) and
>
> Wouldn't it be better to optimize documentation for the reader
> instead of the writer? After all if reading is impaired, that's
> bound to make the maintainer unhappy even if she has fewer
> documents to maintain.
>
>> (2) the single file will be more tested/bullet-proof.
>
> How does that work? Aren't step-by-step documents "how to do
> this on Posix" and "how to do this for Windows" best tested in
> one environment at a time?

If in both cases the build commands would only be sth. like:

<my-fancy-build-toold> build
<my-fancy-build-toold> test

then there would be no need for a second Windows-only document.

>> Anyways sorry about mentioning it - I know that such (a) a
>> change
>> shouldn't be taken lightly and it also may cause additional
>> troubles and
>
> What troubles would there be? How were troubles taken into
> account when the document got modified from its initial
> Posix-only stance to the current state?

I was referring to switching from Makefiles to a different
cross-platform tool like reggae, which bears some troubles with
it due to many existing setups and infrastructure.

> Please just fix it with no debate.

Sorry, it wasn't intended as a debate, we just posted at the same
time initially.

https://wiki.dlang.org/Building_under_Posix
https://wiki.dlang.org/Building_under_Windows