I used dub for the first time, here are a few notes

Joseph Rushton Wakeling via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Aug 23 11:19:11 PDT 2016

On Tuesday, 23 August 2016 at 17:58:31 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
>> * In an extra twinge of irony, the link to the package format
>> specification goes to
>> http://code.dlang.org/package-format?lang=json,
>> i.e. the JSON format. Which is of course not what "dub init"
>> (which I
>> duly ran because it was on the getting started page)
>> generated. It was
>> no source of confusion to me because I had the context, but it
>> may for
>> others.
>
> json has returned as the default format. Your distribution
> probably installed an older dub that used sdl as the default
> format.

Yea, unfortunately the version of dub packaged with Ubuntu 16.04
does default to using SDL, and that version is going to be around
for a long while (5 years' support and all that).

In principle it might be worth seeing if it's possible to upgrade
the packaged version.