16MB static arrays again...

Tomer Filiba via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Aug 24 03:55:28 PDT 2016

On Wednesday, 24 August 2016 at 09:38:43 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> 1) Why? I know everything in compile-time, why force me to (A)
>> allocate it
>> separately in `shared static this()`
>
> I'm not sure how that hurts anything. It's just a call to
> malloc().

Static this()es require a topological order on modules, or it
blows up when running the module ctors. We've had many issues
with static-this()es that required us to split modules into "top
and bottom parts", which only serve breaking cycles for the ctors
(i.e., not a logical compilation unit, but a technical one).