Usability of D on windows?

John Burrton via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Aug 25 02:57:28 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 25 August 2016 at 06:08:50 UTC, kinke wrote:
> On Wednesday, 24 August 2016 at 21:13:45 UTC, Guillaume Piolat
> wrote:
>> A minor problem is that on Windows users expect both x86 and
>> x86_64 builds so one has to juggle with the 2 LDC PATH to
>> release both. I've said this thrice already and it's quite
>> minor really.
>
> There's a multilib edition for the CI builds for the time
> being. Just make NOT to run it inside a 'VS Tools Command
> Prompt', so that LDC can set up the MSVC++ environment
> variables for 32/64 bit linking.
>
>> Honestly since 1.0.0-b2 it's pure bliss and I've come to trust
>> it very much.
>
> Thanks, appreciated!

Thanks everyone for the information here.

I think my best approach is to use visual D with DMD for most of
my development work as it seems better supported and debugger
works better etc.

And then make *frequent* builds from command line to test with
LDC and use that for "production". It sounds from what I read
here that it's stable enough to use for that :)

I'll try to find a small test case that crashes the compiler in
visual D and check out what version I'm using etc, and submit a
bug report if I am able.