Optimisation possibilities: current, future and enhancements

Cauterite via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Aug 25 04:45:40 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 25 August 2016 at 11:16:52 UTC, Cecil Ward wrote:

I long for the day we ditch signalling NaNs — they would surely
prevent `-ffast-math` from being effective.

I have a couple more ideas, here's one of them:
- if a function is pure and called with constexpr parameters, the
compiler could potentially execute that call in the CTFE engine
(automatically), as part of the constant-folding phase I guess.
Such a technique will hopefully one day be practical, once the
CTFE engine's performance improves.