Optimisation possibilities: current, future and enhancements

Cauterite via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Aug 25 04:55:08 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 25 August 2016 at 11:16:52 UTC, Cecil Ward wrote:
> * the GCC "__builtin_expect()"

Instead of adding individual micro-optimisation features like
this, I'd be more interested in the potential for profile-guided
optimisation (which *ideally* can make these micro-optimisation
decisions automatically). Since DMD already has some framework in
place to support code profiling, I suspect this is at least a
feasible enhancement.

On the other hand, it might not be worth trying to play catch-up
with existing PGO features in GCC/LLVM. If you're using PGO,
you're probably already using these other backends for their more
advanced static optimisers.