Dip Discussion

Seb via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Aug 28 18:58:07 PDT 2016

On Monday, 29 August 2016 at 01:09:47 UTC, Illuminati wrote:
> So, I'd rather hear something "Yes, great idea... we will work
> on it when we get a chance" as it lets me know that the proper
> attitudes are in effect that will help D go somewhere. If I
> here "No, that's too hard... too much work. Not interested",
> etc. It lets me know that the fight is an uphill battle and it
> makes me not want to be part of that negative approach. Make
> sense?

I think what Dicebot was saying is that according to his estimate
the cost/benefit ratio for this idea is too low for him to
volunteer for it.

> For example, I would be willing to contribute if I
> thought/believed my contributions were going to be worthwhile.
> I am not alone in this, everyone is this way.

No one ever said that contributions aren't welcome ;-)

I think your question was understood as "Hey guys, please do
this!", not as "Hey I would like to have this, how can I help?"

As said before I think that the discussion on the pull request or
the thread in the NG are quite okay for the moment (for
comparison afaik: Rust uses explicitly the pull request to
discuss their RFCs, whereas Python uses solely a mailing list).

My personal take on that: it's great if you have time to
contribute, but there are a lot more important things to do & if
you want to improve the DIP process, the best thing to do is to
write a DIP yourself.
There are plenty of draft DIPs at [1] that just wait for someone
like you to polish them and make a superb DIP submission out of
them!

[1] https://wiki.dlang.org/DIPs