Why D is not popular enough?

Markus via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Aug 30 00:56:06 PDT 2016

On Monday, 29 August 2016 at 14:31:50 UTC, eugene wrote:
> On Monday, 29 August 2016 at 12:11:34 UTC, Markus wrote:
>> Take a look on this discussion thread and you know WHY D IS
>> NOT SO POPULAR.
>>
>> The community discusses technical details and compares D to
>> C++, but there is no clear mission statement, there is no
>> vision statement...
>>

> Hello,
> the url https://dlang.org/overview.html states that "It's a
> practical language for practical programmers", i think this is
> the vision statement)))

Take a look on https://dlang.org/ : "D is a systems programming
language with C-like syntax..."

The overview-page http://dlang.org/overview.html has two main
sections which compares D with C++.

The tour https://tour.dlang.org/ is nearly empty, but on the
first page it states that D is an "evolution of C++ (without the
mistakes)" (the real content is hidden in the menu-sections).

Most of the (very good) articles in
https://dlang.org/articles.html compare D-features with C++. If I
want to learn how D templates work, I do not need to know what is
bad in C++-Templates.

 From my point of view this misleading for people comming to D
first time. D is a mature full featured language by its own. D
has its roots in C++ (and C) but is full fledged now and should
represent its features and strength with continuously referencing
C++ and without this repetitive "without mistakes".

Many young people are looking for alternatives to the boring Java
Ecosystem. If you position D in the, from there perspective,
grandparents-language C++ edge, you will miss them.

Regards

Markus