How about a bounty for a new windows installer using inno setup ?

Jim Hewes via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Dec 5 11:33:33 PST 2016

On 12/5/2016 3:19 AM, Kjartan F. Kvamme wrote:
> On Monday, 5 December 2016 at 09:24:59 UTC, Basile B. wrote:
>> How about a bounty for a new windows installer using inno setup ?
>>
>> There are several issues related to the nsis-based windows installer
>> (even on bugzilla). The problem that happened last Fall with a virus
>> false detection may happen again. "Braddr" proposed to handle digital
>> signatures in case it would involve payment.
>>
>> Programming an installer is a small job but it has a long term impact
>> on the user experience. Worth 100€ imo.
>
> Any particular reason to use Inno Setup over for example Wix Toolset?

<Delurk>
In my last job I worked on installers (which I didn't like but someone
had to do it.) I recommend WiX over Inno. The main reason is that WiX
produces an MSI and Inno doesn't. An MSI is just a data file, not an
executable, and is thus better for security. I normally wrapped the MSI
in a bootstrap exe. But we had one customer that was part of the
government and wouldn't accept anything but an MSI.
If you want, you can generate the XML with a program. I just didn't
because I figured it was easier to modify if you can directly see the
XML. My install builder was actually a combination of C# and WiX. I
never found scripts to be flexible enough and it's just one more
language to know.

Jim
</Delurk>