What's the oldest Mac targeted by D programmers?

Guillaume Piolat via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Dec 6 05:11:55 PST 2016

On Tuesday, 6 December 2016 at 09:12:16 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:

> This leads to the question is AVX support a minimum
> configuration for Macs? Can AVX instruction generation become
> the default for OSX?

No opinion. My whole segment runs on SSE.

Zero interest in AVX here, because optimizing for the users which
already have the fastest machines is not going to make a
difference while optimizing for the lower end does. Hence it's
critically important that 32-bit builds use SSE instead of FPU
(because denormals) but that's another question and already
addressed by LDC.

For DMD I'd more interested in yet improving raw compile-time
speed, quality, and working 32-bit SSE intrinsics in
core.intrinsic (did that changed? D_SIMD wasn't here in 32-bit).