Should we warn if we detect null derefernces or void value uses ?

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Dec 7 16:50:19 PST 2016

On Wednesday, December 07, 2016 05:14:47 Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
> Warnings are useful as a first step in a deprecation process

Yeah, but at this point, we have a separate mechanism for deprecations, and
it doesn't stop compilation (as originally happened with deprecations),
making warnings unnecessary for that.

> but when
> people debate a language restriction, cannot agree, and so compromise by
> generating a warning, things have failed.

Definitely. And I think that the mess with C++ and warnings is proof of
that.

- Jonathan M Davis