DIP10005: Dependency-Carrying Declarations is now available for community feedback

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Dec 14 13:07:56 PST 2016

On Wednesday, 14 December 2016 at 12:30:33 UTC, ketmar wrote:
> On Wednesday, 14 December 2016 at 12:15:20 UTC, Joseph Rushton
> Wakeling wrote:
>> Yea, I think you put your finger on it: almost all of the
>> stuff this feature could help achieve in Phobos could be just
>> as well achieved by splitting stuff up better.
>
> no, it can't. why should i remember that i have to import
> "std.range.xyz" for something? of course, i will write `import
> std.range;` and forget about it. no kind of splitting will
> allow me to have self-contained "hygienic" declarations.

Yeah, modularity from the standpoint of importing a set of
functions and modularity from the standpoint of what those
functions import are orthogonal concerns. Without this DIP, we're
often unable to treat them orthogonally, but in principle, they
are. Are this DIP (regardless of the exact syntax) would allow us
to.

- Jonathan M Davis