Calypso and the future of D

Swoorup Joshi via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Dec 15 06:23:25 PST 2016

On Tuesday, 27 January 2015 at 19:34:03 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
> On Tuesday, 27 January 2015 at 16:39:40 UTC, Elie Morisse wrote:
>> On Monday, 26 January 2015 at 19:35:11 UTC, Laeeth Isharc
>> wrote:
>>> I posted some thoughts on web docs writeup of C+= interface
>>> here.
>>>
>>> http://forum.dlang.org/thread/fmjehcyzhnirybmnjloj@forum.dlang.org#post-fmjehcyzhnirybmnjloj:40forum.dlang.org
>>>
>>> Do you think we could make binaries of calypso available for
>>> download ?  I know it is alpha, but it is so strategically
>>> important, and just getting clang to build is not always so
>>> easy given the stuff in gcc 4.9 with size__align_t ?
>>>
>>> We should mention calypso in the web docs, and link to it too
>>> (with appropriate caveats).
>>
>> It feel slightly too early, Calypso shouldn't be far from
>> getting most of the C++ standard library to work but it still
>> chokes on most tangles of templates (afaics it all boils down
>> to a few issues). Also operators, function templates and
>> merging latest LDC would be nice and not a lot of work away
>> (last merge was mid-October, before better Win64 ABI support).
>>
>> As soon as this is done I'll make builds for Windows and Linux
>> users.
>
> Thanks.  People like to play with things when it is easy, and
> bear in mind what the present alternative is.  But I respect
> your desire to maintain a standard of quality.

What is the progress on this project? I am planning of working on
a game project that involves using physx and offcourse D. It
looks like there would be a lot of work just writing D
boilerplate code to interface with C++ and alot of unknowns it
seems.

With this realized as a clang plugin, its supposed to
automatically generate the bindings for D?