DIP10005: Dependency-Carrying Declarations is now available for community feedback

Dominikus Dittes Scherkl via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Dec 16 01:02:09 PST 2016

On Friday, 16 December 2016 at 07:15:51 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 12/15/2016 9:07 AM, Dominikus Dittes Scherkl wrote:
>> So, I no longer propose to change nothing except the internal
>> compiler behaviour.
>> Now I propose to additionally change the .di-file generation
>> to also add all
>> local imports to the start of the declaration file, so that
>> having this file
>> gives ALL dependencies of the declared stuff.
>
> That will subtly change the behavior of overloads across module
> lookups.

Hm. Maybe if the .di-file would be used for code generation. But
does that make sense? A .di-file is delivered together with an
already compiled library to provide the sources of templates AND
to show up all dependencies of the library, no? Both for the
interested reader and the compiler. And the actual .di-files
doesn't do that correct.