Linux Kernel in D?

Whatsthisnow via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Dec 17 19:10:16 PST 2016

On Sunday, 18 December 2016 at 03:05:13 UTC, Whatsthisnow wrote:
> I am basing the kernel on Linux because, well, I like Linux,
> and its the only complete kernel with free source that I
> currently know of.  Given that it is widely
> Used as an OS kernel, it kinda made sense to port it, give it a
> new engine under the hood so to speak.  I would like to keep it
> as close to the original as possible such that linux
> programmers will still have a generally familiar environment to
> work with, rather than having to learn an entirely new kernel.
>
> As far as GlibD, well the point of the project is to give
> Linux, as a I said before, a metaphorical new engine under the
> hood, so it wouldn't be sensible to not convert libc and the
> coreutils etc to D as well since Linux requires them.  Plus,
> this might be a good opportunity for the community, as well as
> the creators of D, to incorporate some features into the kernel
> that would benefit the D language itself.  I think i remember
> reading somewhere, someone (maybe one of the creators) stated
> that garbage collection should be done in the Kernel, well I
> think this would be a perfect opportunity to test that as an
> experimental feature.
>  Possibly pull GC out of the D libraries and put it in the
> kernel for this project.
>
> Anyway, thats some of my thoughts on the project.

Having said that though, keeping it as familiar as possible, it
would be a no brainer to make full use of D's features to make
the kernel the best it can be.  I am no master with D at the
moment, so I was hoping some community members might be
interested in putting their hands in the project and committing
some good code ports.