A betterC modular standard library?

Ilya Yaroshenko via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Dec 18 01:26:09 PST 2016

Hi,

Who is interested in betterC _modular_* standard library?
I am planing to make libmir org a community for it.
Thought and concerns?

We already have better `cpuid` and better `random` packages. The
betterC std.range and std.algorithm analogs would be released
with new ndslice implementation. Mir's algorithm would be faster
then Phobos and will generate less template bloat. Then
lightweight threads, multithread GLAS, matrix inversion. Fastest
I/O and http2 ...

(they all are betterC modular libraries)

Andrei and probably 90% of existing D users don't want Phobos to
move this direction.

In other hand I need a commercial attractive D infrastructure for
large and heavy system projects. There is no commercial
perspective for me to contribute to Phobos because:

1. Phobos version depends on compiler version. Delay with LDC
release is too large. It should / can be one day.

2. We can not do hot fixes in Phobos without compiling and
deploying patched libphobos. Mir's DUB package are much more
flexible.

3. Dependencies should be clear. Modularity is a proper way for
large std library. In phobos everything integrated with
everything. DRuntime -> Phobos abstraction is weird for betterC
because system modules can depends universal algorithms, but
universal algorithm are more portable if they have not system
dependencies.

4. Phobos does not provide and will not provide betterC
guaranties. If something works for betterC mode now it may not
work in the future release.

[1] https://github.com/libmir/
* - separate github/DUB libraries with clear dependencies.

Best regards,
Ilya