DIP10005: Dependency-Carrying Declarations is now available for community feedback

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Dec 18 05:31:48 PST 2016

On 12/17/16 10:21 PM, pineapple wrote:
> On Sunday, 18 December 2016 at 02:40:59 UTC, Chris Wright wrote:
>> D doesn't have either of those pitfalls, so I haven't seen it cause
>> problems. I'm also a bit skeptical that this will see much use outside
>> phobos.
>>
>> This isn't really an argument against it. I just don't see any
>> argument for it, not that's supported by my own experience.
>
> I would like to echo this sentiment.
>
> I am developing a general-use library for D that is currently resting at
> around 50,000 lines.

Is the source code publicly available?

> I have never felt a need for a feature like this,
> and I can't imagine a reason to begin using it. Dependency management
> has just never presented an issue. Very nearly all modules in the
> library are fewer than 1,000 lines long and very nearly all symbols are
> selectively imported, and the approach has proven to be completely
> manageable.
>
> If it can be added without interfering with the existing patterns, I
> don't really have an argument against this feature. But I do think that
> what this DIP is meant to address is not really a problem experienced by
> all or even most who are working with D.

I recall Liran Zvibel repeatedly mentioned this as a big pain point at
Weka.io. I will reach out to him.

On what basis do you extrapolate from personal experience to most or all
who are working with D?

> It's a problem being
> experienced with Phobos, but there are very valid solutions to that
> problem that don't involve an addition to the language - only some
> refactoring. I think that makes the argument in favor somewhat weak.

How is Phobos special?

What kind of refactoring do you envision would improve dependency
management and build times?

Thanks,

Andrei