ModuleInfo, factories, and unittesting

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Dec 18 08:53:24 PST 2016

Compulsive ModuleInfo generation seems to be a drag. I'm not very
familiar with the particulars but my understanding is ModuleInfo is
needed for (a) Object.factory and (b) finding and running unittests.

Walter and I think Object.factory was a mistake and we'd like to make it
opt-in long term (either by means of a build flag or a class attribute).

Until then, a very nice step forward is to NOT generate ModuleInfo if a
module introduces no class.

For unittests, I figure things like static introspection should make it
easier to enumerate and run unittests without a need for ModuleInfo.

What other issues/opportunities do you see related to ModuleInfo?

Thanks,

Andrei