A betterC modular standard library?

Ilya Yaroshenko via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Dec 18 21:59:07 PST 2016

On Monday, 19 December 2016 at 01:52:21 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 12/18/16 7:31 PM, Seb wrote:
>> tl:dr: Phobos is very bloated.
>
> How does the D standard library compare in size with some other
> languages (C++, Rust, Go, Java, Python)?

C++ and Rust are the best from this list in terms of low level
programming. They have smaller libraries comparing with D.

Go, Java, Python --- If I need a language like them I will you
them, not D.

Go - awesome GC, commercially supported, easy to write your own
libs
Java - awesome GC, commercially supported, Scala(!!!)
Python - awesome scripting, commercially supported

D - ??? awesome what ? What do we have better then Scala?

Performance? NO.
BRandomAccessRanges makes our performance less then C/C++.

Clean and clever API in standard library? NO.
We are placing our Range API whenever possible including RNGs. We
have not a language standard for I/O. Half of Phobos is outdated
to language standards.

Best generics? NO.
Scala is more powerful.

----------
What do we have awesome? Where D is the best?
----------
D is awesome for low-level system libraries in betterC mode.
(and small text processing routines)
This will make D great in other fields.
----------

>> Let's do something about it!
>
> I've said this several times, and it bears repeating. We want
> to make D entirely pay-as-you go, and offer full support to
> anyone working on it. The best "something" anyone can do about
> it is do good engineering work in the D mainline.

National D Foundation Party.

> That will automatically benefit all users of the D language,
> instead of balkanizing the community.

> Granted, the lure of the clean slate is strong, and more care
> is needed to mind backwards compatibility, but that's where the
> real impact is.
>

> Andrei

How Mir projects breaks backward compatibility ?

How proposed direction breaks backward compatibility?

Lets use other prefix for the new libraries. Mir uses `mir.` And
allow Phobos to be a sandbox for C++ as it is now.

Ilya