The Computer Language Benchmarks Game - no D

qznc via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Dec 19 01:14:18 PST 2016

On Sunday, 18 December 2016 at 22:50:36 UTC, Brad Anderson wrote:
> On Sunday, 18 December 2016 at 21:29:05 UTC, jmh530 wrote:
>> On Sunday, 18 December 2016 at 21:26:36 UTC, Boston wrote:
>>> Some days ago I'd been looking for comparisons between
>>> different programming languages, and I found this site:
>>
>> It's been discussed on the forum before.
>
> Yeah, many times. We'd all like to see D there but Isaac Gouy
> (the maintainer of the language shootout) has made it pretty
> clear D isn't getting on there but he welcomes anyone to use
> the shootout's infrastructure to run their own benchmarks for D
> and put it up on their own site.

I did this [0].

Eventually, I stopped because so many of the benchmark programs
are not worth it these days. The most useful benchmark is
regexdna. It compares D's stdlib regex engine with established
C/C++ libraries. However, you could use the C/C++ libraries in D
just as well. So, is that a meaningful comparison?

Where C/C++ wins over D (well LDC), it is usually about some
builtins for SSE instructions. Those are not portable in C or D,
though.

[0] https://github.com/qznc/d-shootout