A betterC modular standard library?

safety0ff via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Dec 19 10:04:14 PST 2016

On Sunday, 18 December 2016 at 18:02:58 UTC, Ilya Yaroshenko
wrote:

> Thank you for the answer (it is hard to understand me because
> English and other reasons),
>
> Ilya

It was difficult to understand your vision until this post, now I
think I grasp it.

Let me try to summarize what I've understood:

D as it stands, is not suitable for writing low level libraries
as well as large scale software development because of compiler
dependence of compiled code.

Examples:
If you have two software teams, and team A's software dependent
on compiler X (e.g requires newer feature, requires
bug/regression fix, etc) and team B's software depends on
compiler Y to meet performance requirements, they get stuck.

Also you want to create a low level library than can be easily
distributed and linked from other languages (e.g. GLAS) extern
(C) is the only viable option, but that can still lock in the D
compiler used if you depend on phobos/druntime.

So the proposal is to make binary compatibility possible in the
near future by implementing "betterC" which provides a bare-bones
language and removes the greatest sources of incompatibilities.

Once this is done a community can form around it and create
completely modular libraries. These can be used by all D and
non-D users alike without compatibility problems.

Since this is all predicated on "betterC", which isn't
implemented. I think it is imperative to create a full
specification.

I look forward to seeing where this initiative goes.

P.S.: I think Ilya writes "evaluates" where he means "evolves"