ycombinator"In my Christmas wishlist is a language ..."

Tobias Müller via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Dec 19 23:16:25 PST 2016

Ilya Yaroshenko <ilyayaroshenko at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is small but pleasant proof that D can be a backend language
> for high performance software. Go and Rust developers will be
> happy to use D under the hood of Go/Rust API if we can propose
> the best libraries. They do not against D! The only things we
> need to be in touch with the rest of world is to write a good
> libraries and provide betterC interface to interact with other
> languages :-)

TBH I think it's not realistic that Rust and Go developers will adopt D for
high performance under the hood, unlike more dynamic languages like Python
or Ruby. Go and Rust languages target a similar audience and are not
inherently slower than D.

Existing good quality libraries like Mir GLAS have certainly a good chance
of being adopted.
But going through FFI is not without costs (both for library writers and
users) and if there are similar libraries in the native language I honestly
don't see much chances for libraries written in D, unless they are really
much better.